Olá, Copacabana!

  
"Her name is Lola, she was showgirl..."

It was as though Barry Manilow's song was on loop in my head as we stepped onto the Praia de Copacabana or simply, the Copacabana beach.  I know, I know.  What a cliche.  But what can I do?  I've been hearing about Lola since I was in my teens and to be actually setting foot on the famed beach in the famed song was just too thrilling!

TRIVIA:  The song "Copacabana" was conceptualized during a conversation between Barry Manilow and his co-writer Bruce Sussman at the Copacabana Hotel in Rio De Janeiro. 

But the "Copacabana" in the actual song refers to a night club in Cuba as described in its lyrics:  "...at the Copa, Copacabana, the hottest spot north of Havana."*

We managed to get to Copacabana an hour before sunset (we were on a city tour the whole day) and we wasted no time exploring the strip.





Young football players.  In Brazil, football (or futebol) is not just a sport but a way of life.
Fitness buffs.  All around Rio de Janeiro (not just in Copacabana), you'll see people running, working out, staying fit.  Enviable really.  I felt ashamed after I downed my can of beer haha.
Saude!  Tim tim!  What goes better with the beach?  Beer, of course!
"I love Cocacobanaaaaaa!"  Yes.  You didn't read wrong and I didn't misspell it.  That's what my then 5-year-old niece screamed as she rushed towards us that afternoon.  I wanted to correct her but we were all laughing so hard the words barely got out!
Gymnastics?  Calisthenics?

Security check.  Policemen patrol the beaches in Rio every so often.  After I took this photo, I saw the two policemen approach me.  The one in white stopped and beckoned me.  I began to panick, thinking, "Sh*t, have I actually done something wrong in a foreign country?!" Because the officers didn't speak English, my cousin approached us and talked to them.  Apparently, they (the policemen) aren't allowed to be photographed while on duty.  So the officer was actually just asking me if I wanted to pose on their ATVs so I can have MY photo taken hahaha.



It was sunnier the second day we went to Copacabana.  And as expected, more people flocked to the beach to get their dose of Vitamin D whether by sunbaking or just doing an afternoon stroll.

(L) A woman selling bikinis; (R) Sun worshippers



 

But among the thousands of barely-there swimsuit-clad men and women in Copacabana, these two caught my attention the most.




Next stop:  IPANEMA BEACH!



*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copacabana_(song)

Comments

  1. I have known Copacabana Beach only by name. Everyone looks free and comfortable! The little girl in her pink bikini is as lovely as the lady dressed in navy blue dress. You look so nice, Koryn.

    I’m happy to know my posts brought you back into your memory lane of Japan.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yoko! My niece can be a handful but can be really charming when in the mood :)

      I look forward to seeing more of Japan from you!

      Delete
  2. Such a colorful place and love the song! You took wonderful photos for all of us who may never go there to enjoy.

    The paintings in my recent post did not have prices; seems like they were there to brighten up the little food cart plaza where they sat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could go back someday :)

      Oh, that's nice then! Amazing how there are so many splashes of color in your neighborhood.

      Delete
  3. it looks like a fun place. loved your cute niece.

    thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Thank you. She pretty much brightens up our day everyday :)

      Delete
  4. such a lovely place. sana makarating din ako dyan. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the last picture! So sweet. Wonder if they're locals or tourists? =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Other stories you might be interested in: