Hanami in Osaka

"Hanami (lit. "flower viewing") is the Japanese traditional custom of enjoying the beauty of flowers, "flower" in this case almost always meaning cherry blossoms ("sakura") or (less often) plum blossoms ("ume")." (More info here.)

Japan's famous cherry blossoms don't show up 'til late March or early April.  So when we went there during the first week of March, I decided to look for the next best thing--plum blossoms.  A friend who's been frequenting Japan suggested that I check out Expo '70 Commemorative Park in Suita, a city located in the Northern part of Osaka.

So during my and my travel companions' self-imposed "free day" (a day where we each followed our own itineraries), I decided to go there.  It was bound to be an adventure, what with me being geographically-challenged and all haha.  But this sight was definitely worth almost getting lost and boarding the wrong train!

The Tower of the Sun.









Bang! Bang! Bang!
Japanese kids are the cutest!

I was alone but I just had to have my photo taken under the canopy of plum trees.  Thanks to that random photographer I bothered who thought I was a student (Ha!), I have this photo:



The park is huge and has other sections like the tulip garden, rose garden, and, of course, cherry blossoms garden. (To find out what flowers are in bloom during a particular season, click here.)  During the time we were there, only the plum trees were in blossom.  Now imagine how the whole park would look like during spring.  And that's my cue to say... I'm definitely coming back ;)



-----

EXPO '70 COMMEMORATIVE PARK
Suta, Osaka, Japan

14 comments:

  1. Very nice post. Great pictures!

    Greetings from the Netherlands,
    DzjieDzjee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not Cherry Blossoms but it's beli beli plitty :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Sis. I love you. Thanks for sharing those awesome awesome shots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Kanji in one of the pictures literally means "春-Spring 日-Day 野-Outdoors/in the fields" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks for that Arlan! I thought it may be the name of the tree or something haha.

      Delete
  5. these are just beautiful! i have to smile at the cluster of people taking photos. the first gentleman looks like he's sneaking up on a blossom! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amused by him too! And by the fact that almost everyone in Japan have DSLRs!

      Delete
  6. Tranquility and grace among flowers! I love it! Are you allowed to pick out the blossoms from the trees? Do they sell seedlings? I want one on my front yard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get to explore the whole park (it was huge!) so I don't know if there's a stall somewhere selling seedlings. But maybe they have a seedling bank in Osaka where you can buy them :)

      Delete
  7. Wow, You're really lucky with that weather condition and beautiful flowers. Simply ubelievable, congratulations! Unfortunately we still have stong winter days here although everybody's waiting for spring flowers. Maybe on the next week...
    Warm greetings from Hungary :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. AY... gustong gusto ko talaga makapunta ng Japan.. I'm not into their food (but you might be able to change my opinion abt their food) but I LOVE how much they put appreciation art that extends from painting to nature.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the cherry blossoms! I hope you have a good Easter weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hihi, I have similar pic of Japanese people taking pics of the hanami...I was really at the beginning and id not have so many flowers out, lucky you! love your PICS so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for visting my new blog entry and leaving a comment. The house belongs to a neighbor - I could not resist taking a photo of the pink azalea bush- it was so glorious!

    These photos are so nice = especially of the children and the blossoms. Reminds me of Portland.

    ReplyDelete

Other stories you might be interested in: