Dear Mama Betty and Papa Apin...

My grandmother, Beatrice Rodriguez,
and my grandfather, Serafin Rodriguez.
This was how I would always start my letter to my grandparents when I was a kid.  Almost every summer, my parents would "deport" me, my sister, and my brother to the family compound in Sto. Domingo, Albay for at least a month.  I grew up bonding with my cousins.  During the summers my siblings and I weren't able to visit, I would write my grandparents long letters. (Although, I honestly can't remember what they were about!).

Then one vacation, my grandfather, Papa Apin, called me to his rocking chair.  He said, "You know, hija, in writing, there is a thing called protocol.  When you write to a couple, you always put the name of the man first followed by the lady's name."

That would be my first ever lesson in writing.

Years would go by and I would continue to develop my love for the craft.  My grandfather wanted us to be lawyers. (At least I remember him telling me that I should be a lawyer.  Years later, I would find out that he also told my brother that.)  For some reason, none of us felt inclined to take up law.  Nevertheless, I knew that he was proud of my writing.

And this post is all about thanking him and my grandmother not only for that encouragement but for all the love we were showered with growing up.  Last weekend, we had a family reunion in Sto. Domingo and during the lighting of the lanterns, I know we all felt a ripple of gratitude flow through us towards the two people who made sure we grew up knowing the value of family and togetherness.


The Family Legacy.

So to our dear Papa Apin and Mama Betty (I got that right!), THANK YOU.  Like my niece, Jann, said, "We're all right where we should be."



Generations.

Comments

  1. I'm sure your lolo's really proud of you.

    My fondest memory of my lolo was him trying to teach us how to play the piano. He was so good at it too but none of us, his apos, were also inclined to play.

    P.S. He's a lawyer, btw. Hehehe! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're lucky we got to know our grandparents ;)

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful picture of your grandparents. You are lucky you got to know them. And it looks like your family is very close.

    Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Koryn, I'm also from San Vicente, Sto Domingo, Albay...my grandmother, the late, Estela Legaspi Romero...like you, we only went there during summer vacation....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Other stories you might be interested in: