If the shoe fits

"There's this guy I met after college.  We got along really well but every time I flirt with him, I'd feel icky after. Like, what was I thinking?? But there would be moments when I'd think, why not?  He's not so bad. Then I'd flirt with him again then I'd feel icky again," I said.

"Well, it's just like seeing a pair of shoes at the mall--you try them on, they go well with your feet, but it doesn't have that 'oomph' factor so you put the pair back on the rack," Kel mused.  "The next day, you see the pair again, think it is cute, try them on, but put them back on the rack again."

It was raining hard, the winds were howling, and it was the worst day to be at the beach.  But Kel, Mitch, Mike, Ami and I were, and the only thing keeping us warm were thin sweaters, sarongs, and a bottle of brandy.  Thus the start of an amusing conversation about boys and shoes.

"Talagang ikumpara ang mga lalaki sa sapatos?" I laughed.  ("You really have to compare men to shoes?")

"Well, isn't looking for the right guy the same thing as looking for the perfect pair of shoes?" Kel said.  "Sometimes you see a gorgoeus pair of red pumps but when you try them on, they don't fit at all."

Shoes, a girl's bestfriend.  Carrie and her Manolo Blahniks.
"Or sometimes, you see a pair that's far from your style but when you try them on, you realize they fit you well and they actually look good on you," I concluded.

Mike, being the only guy in the group had no choice but to laugh and safely stay out of the conversation.  Good thing too because his fiance, Ami, was sitting right beside him haha.

"Sometimes, you wear the same pair of shoes everyday for years then one day, you look in the mirror and realize you've been wearing the wrong pair all along--they make your feet ugly and make your legs short," Kel said.

"Can relate?" I laughed.  "So how do you describe this guy that I had a crush on years ago but when I finally met him, I lost interest?" I asked.

"Well, he's the shoe you've been pining for for months," Kel replied.  "And come payday, you finally tried it on only to find out you don't like how it looks on you."

"Hahaha, nice!"

"Wait, so why did you lose interest in him?"  Mitch asked.

"He was too nice," I replied.

"Aha!" Kel quipped.  "So you like bad ass shoes with killer heels!" And we burst out laughing.

"Well, I like different types of shoes," I said. "Right now, I'm obsessed over ballet flats.  Last year, I was into sandals."

"So you think you've found the right shoe yet?"  Kel asked.

"I'm a size 9.  It's hard to find shoes that fit!"  And we all burst out laughing again.

How long the talk lasted, I forget.  All I know is by the time the bottle of brandy was almost finished, we've covered just about every type of shoes (or boys? :p) there is.

We all agree though (in between boisterous laughter and funny retorts)  that at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what kind of shoes you find--wedges, stilettos, boots, strappies, sneakers or plain ballet flats.  They may be from the department store, a high-end boutique, from the U.S., from a garage sale, or they may have just been hiding under your bed the whole time.  All that matters is if the shoe fits ;)

If the shoe fits.  The scene in Sex and the City where Big proposes to Carrie with a pair of Manolo Blahniks.


Comments

  1. Spot-on, and beautifully-written. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an unexpected post! At first I thought you were quoting some of the Sex and the City episodes and then I realized that I did't quite recognize the characters' names haha

    This sure sounds like a fun conversation to have with friends! I guess I'd be a tough one to figure out lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. MANILA GIRL: Shoes and boys = something every girl could relate to! Haha.

    JULIA: Hm...let try: Sometimes you like black sleek stilletos but there are times when you just like simple slip-ons? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha...i've had this same topic of conversation before with my ma and close friends. ma was like, "Tsk tsk...boys aren't shoes" and i laughed at her discomfort over my comparison. It was like, I'd be wandering around in the store all the time, and then...Bam! i'd know what i'd like when i see it. and it usually fits. and it's just in the right size. i'm a size 9 as well. haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post mother!! Super can relate!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SONIA: It's a comparison only our generation would understand! Thanks to Sex and the City hahaha. Ooh, you and I have so much in common! You just know the perfect shoe when you see it!

    JOEI: Mother! I guess you've found the right shoe already ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Then again, there are instances when you go out looking for a specific pair and end up buying another kind because the latter had the "oomph" factor (or so you called it). I guess, guys are like that, too. How'd that song go again? "Didn't know I was looking for love until I found you." Cheesy! Haha!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for reminding me that it has been ages since I went shopping for new shoes. *wink wink*

    ReplyDelete
  9. LITOL FIGGY: Haha, yes, very cheesy! I guess you never know if they fit until you try them on ;)

    Z JOYA: ;)

    MER: A lot of new designs out there. Go, try some! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. sometimes kasi one has a different size, depending on brand or type of shoe :D in other words, methinks Prince Charming had a few glass slippers of different sizes stashed somewhere, swerte lang the first one he was holding fit Cinderalla :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Koryyyyn, have you entered my giveaway yet?? Today is the last day! :) http://bit.ly/v6aTxt

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Other stories you might be interested in: