I had a date with two sharks this weekend

There's a calming feeling to it, being underwater.  I remember when I was a kid, instead of floating on my back, I'd rather float facing down the water.  Also, I'm not an excellent swimmer but I learned how to skin dive as early as 12 years old.  There's just something about being submerged in water, seeing nothing but the deep blue, and hearing nothing but the humdrum of moving water that gives me a sense of peace. 

Anyway, I've always wondered what it would feel like to stay underwater for more than a few minutes.  Hence the interest in scuba diving.  My sister was actually the one who got me interested in it in the first place.  She's been a diver for what, five years now?  She treated me to an intro dive some three years ago and since then, scuba diving has been a long-running contender in my to-do list.

But because of budget, time constraint, blah blah blah, I never got to try it out.  Until this year.

It was an impulse decision.  Some of my friends got certified a month earlier.  Then one of my closest friends from college said she wanted to give it a try.  So I thought, what the heck?  Why am I bending myself backwards over work if not to be able to do the stuff that I want to?  So, dismissing any second thoughts, I called up my sister's dive instructor, Rob, and arranged for my friend April and I to take diving classes.

And so two classroom sessions and two pool sessions later, we finally headed out for our check-out dive.

IT WAS ONE OF THE COOLEST EXPERIENCE EVER.


I was nervous at first.  What if I have difficulty descending? What if I can't equalize underwater? What if I shoot up from the bottom? What if a shark comes out of nowhere and attacks me?  (Okay, so the last part is actually an exaggeration haha.  But we did see sharks over the weekend.  More on that later.)  But, like my instructor said, once underwater, instinct took over.  And I felt myself gliding like it's a second nature.

We take our lessons seriously.  Rob, our dive instructor, giving me, April, and Louie last-minute instructions before our checkout dive.
Weightless.  (L) Me and (R) April exploring the depths of the Batangas waters.

We had a total of five dives that weekend.  And everytime we went under, I felt myself warping into another dimension, leaving all the worries above water.  It was just me and my underwater world.

I didn't actually get to enjoy the first dive.  I was so focused on the technical stuff--my breathing, my finning, my mask, and so on.  But on the third dive, I became more relaxed and was able to start appreciating the underwater scenery.

We saw catfishes, lion fishes, squids, a lobster, lots and lots of Nemos, and, the most exciting part of it all--THREE FIVE-FOOT SHARKS! (Actually, I'm sure I just saw two but the sister insists there were three :p)

Altogether it was tiring but exhilarating experience.  And, suffice to say, I think I found a new hobby to preoccupy myself with.

Underwater lessons.
Next stop:  DIVING IN PALAU!  Haha okay fine, I'd settle with Puerto Galera first.  But Palau is now definitely on my newly-created "Places to Dive At" list ;)

CERTIFIED! :)


*All underwater photos taken by The Sister Extraordinaire and our dive instructor, Rob.

Comments

  1. Congrats! I've been swimming since a little girl and have had an Intro Dive a few years back but I still haven't gotten over my fear of deep waters yet. Sharks and sea snakes are my biggest stressors, hehe. So for now I'm sticking with snorkeling. I wish I had your courage though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks girl! it was a really cool experience. i was more afraid of not being able to equalize underwater than i was of the sea creatures haha! you should give it a try again! i'm sure your would-be dive instructor won't bring you to waters with dangerous creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I guess I need to learn how to swim first before anything else eh?

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, yeah, sort of haha. but i don't think you need to be a fantastic swimmer to be able to dive. i think basic skills will do.

    thanks thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow great photos. I would love to be able to dive properly. I used to swim competitively so spent my childhood in a pool. I used to love sitting on the bottom it was fun! lol!

    Daisy Dayz Home
    Cross-Jones-Photography Home

    ReplyDelete
  6. you should try it! it's really fun. it's only my first dive and yet i think i'm already addicted to it :) go go go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Basic skills, that I have to learn too. I don't even know how to make myself float, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. congrats, korina! :) next step niyan underwater photography na! hehe. can't wait to read about your next underwater adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks michelle! grabe, i asked how much an underwater casing for a DSLR is...kasing mahal daw ng second hand car! aray ko. hahaha. so hanggang hiram na lang muna ako ngayon hahaha.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Other stories you might be interested in: